Wednesday 4 February 2009

Timely Reminder . . .

Our friend, oldnat from the BBC blogs, has gently reminded me of my original intentions when starting this blog. Thank you.

Back in the summer, there were a number of people on Crick's column who became engaged with the idea of designing a modern constitution for the UK. Naturally there were many ideas but the one thing upon which we were all agreed was that the present model is not working properly, does not serve the people well and - above all - is neither modern nor democratic. Events have moved on with the advent of the credit crisis, the resulting downturn of the economy and the inevitable fallout with ill-suited bedfellows cosying up to promote protectionist ideas - including some which are dangerously close to racist - at a time when we should be forward looking. If we cannot mend the economic crisis overnight - and we cannot - we may at least use the time productively to design a concept which will serve us better, more transparently and equitably. For my part, I have been increasingly diverted by discussions on Mark Mardell's Europe Blog.

In the next few days, I will focus some of my ideas into a document and post a link here. These will not form a proposal as such. Merely a template, if you will, of what might be in order that others may comment constructively. If I may be pedantic for a moment, I have no wish to moderate the blog so please do not use it as a forum for hurling abuse. If that starts, I will have to make like Auntie and become Big Brother, if you see what I mean. I don't want to be doing that.

One other thing. As most of you know, I am an expat living in Hungary. Now I know some people will ask what the hell all this has to do with me and why I simply do not get on with my new life. The answer to that is twofold. I am still a citizen and a passport holder, a net contributor to HM Treasury and I have a vote. On the other hand, the benefit of physical distance has been an ability to view some of the issues in a more detached way. The second reason is that I am a firm believer in the European project. Others will disagree and I am happy to engage in the debate but one thing is clear. Whichever way the UK goes, it remains a big player on the European stage and what you or we decide will have a big impact throughout Europe.

Feel free to make suggestions:-)

3 comments:

Barbazenzero said...

Great idea, threnodio - I spotted your latest MM blog reference to this and would certainly like to contribute.

I'm in much the same position as you except that as I reach 60 this year, I'm starting to think about repatriating myself to somewhere in Great Britain if/when I reach 65 and claim the OAP for which I have been contributing via NI VCs for the past few decades.

I have a clear interest in the constitutional polity I repatriate myself to.

Being semi-retired, I have some free time to spare on this, but I have work commitments this week which means I shan't be posting much before the week-end.

GG said...

I'm but a young whippersnapper, but have enjoyed your posts on the Beeb.

I'll keep an eye on your blog until I have something vaguely intellignet to say :D

Graphter said...

Hi Brownedov

Seems we are just about the same age. I have no plans to repatriate at present but I am in the EU so, as things stand, my pension is not at risk (though for how long with this lot running it, I dread to think). Mind you, on current exchange rate, it would barely cover the wine.

Hi GG

Whippersnappers always welcome. You are the future:-)